Thursday, September 25, 2008



Food Storage: Victory and Defeat

I was so pleased to finally get our Walton Foods order in last Saturday. It was my first experience ordering in bulk from a co-op. The delivery took months longer than we expected, but now that it is here and organized in the basement, I am so glad we did it! We mainly ordered long term (20+ yr.) items in 6 gal. buckets. They arrived sealed and ready for storage. This is something we have thought about and wanted to do for a long time. It always seemed overwhelming though. But last spring I had a fire lit under me and I was determined to get prepared. Now I am reaping the benefits! I'm not saying we are complete, but we are well on our way.

So, one of the tasks I completed last spring was compiling real, working 72 hour kits. You know with backpacks, extra shoes, glasses, diapers, etc... I did the very best I could. I was so proud of myself, until yesterday when I opened the big rolling tub where they are stored. Evidently one of the sealed water jugs cracked and leaked out a gallon of water and festered and molded and grew lots of hairy stuff on EVERYTHING!!! So now I have the lovely chore of digging through a huge tub of mold and determining what to salvage (the cash) and what to pitch (probably everything else). Well, at least I found it now, and not during a real emergency.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Sarah,
Congrats on the food stroage. You'll NEVER regret it. It is such a piece of mind having food for your babies in case anything strikes...like a hurricane. We've ordered from Walton before. It took a long time for us to get ours too. Keep it up!!

Melissa

Amy said...

Congrats! Casie and I were discussing possibly starting an interest group to encourage and support eachother in food storage efforts. Interested? I think many of us feel the time to procrastinate has passed. Thanks for sharing.

Doug and Rikki Wood said...

Sarah,

It is so great to see and hear about your little family. They are beautiful kids and I can't believe little Tanner is 7! I'm not to great at keeping up on my blog, but I love to see those of you who i've lost touch with. I hope all is well.

Rikki Wood