Monday, December 10, 2018

What I am doing these days to stay connected with my...


11 year old.
-Letting her decorate our home for the different seasons and holidays. To be honest, I think its difficult  to transfer our decorations, many of which were purchased specifically for particular spots in our last home, from one place to another.  Miss M is able to see a box full of decorations that I am pretty much done with, and find a new way of displaying them. I think that's a great skill to have and am grateful she's developing it and sharing the results with all of us.  Even more impressive is the fact that she can also enlist the participation of her little brothers, and get them to actually help with her projects. She is great at that and I know that patience and energy is part of who she is. It is why she is always a key part of our family projects and dynamics.

14 year old.
-Yes. We have a 14-year-old again.  This is a great age for A.  We continue to connect over music.  He is constantly challenging himself to learn a new piece and I am continually amazed at his dedication and genuine interest level.  Sometimes during the crazy evening hour that includes homework, dinner prep, and a tired preschooler he plays loudly and we all groan- but A needs to feel his music. Loudly and quickly! It does something for him. He and I listen to recordings of his newly selected pieces together and pick out our favorite parts and discuss why they are interesting: dynamics, grace notes, parts that are played with hands crossing over. He has surpassed my playing ability by a giant leap this past year and my favorite Clementi's Sonatinas are no longer that impressive to him. I am applauding him for going for it. He really is. Perhaps my musical interest was developed just enough to help him find this drive. It is a blessing for us both!

17 year old.
-The junior year of high school is no joke.  T has really dedicated himself anew to performing to his ability level this year.  He has so much potential and it is gratifying when he puts forth the effort to realize it. I am trying to spend more time with him discussing his day-to-day high school life. That was easy to do right up until the whirlwind of high school set in. These days I must make a much bigger effort to find time to talk- really talk- to him. He is taking some challenging classes and has at least one teacher who has put forth the effort to be impactful in his life. T recently told me he couldn't stop smiling all day after this insightful instructor took the time to personally compliment him and told him how impressed he was.  Thank You!!! When other adults go out of their way to sincerely compliment a developing teen, it makes a HUGE difference.  That is one way youth recognize their own talents. Sometimes they need others to point out their growth, abilities, and skill-sets in order to realize them. So I am truly grateful for teachers that challenge, expect growth, and then recognize it.


No comments: