Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The Overdressed Mom

Those of you who know me are reading this and assuming I'm writing about someone else. You know that I have never in my life qualified as overdressed. Underdressed-YES. Overdressed-NEVER. Not at least when it come to designer shoes and little black dresses. I just do not spend that much time worrying about my outward appearance.

Perhaps I should think about the image I out forth a little bit more though. Because aside from my jeans and sweaters, there is another image I put forward about myself- each day.

Our faces have no tags and no labels. But what else about us can express so acutely how we feel and what we are thinking about ourselves and others.
I am afraid I too often put on my "Hurry, hurry, hurry" face the moment I jump out of bed and don't take it off when I should. Like when I say "Good Morning" it should be with a geniune "Good Morning" face. Not with a "hurry-up-and-get-dressed-because-we-are-already-late-and-your-little-sister-needs-an-emergency-bath" face.

Perhaps the key is in me slowing down and taking the time to look others in the eye each time we speak. For all I know my kids may think my voice is just a sound echoing down the hall or from behind a pile of folded clothes. I haven't been doing the best job of portraying myself to my family.

But I can start now. I can wipe away all those unneccessary clenched teeth and squinted eyes from my Mom face. I can let my family know that I really do have the best job for me and for us. I can find joy in what I am doing and let my children know that while being a stay-at-home mom is challenging, I am so up for it.

No comments: