Wednesday, February 15, 2012

S.S.P.

The first heading on our family's Responsibility Chart is S.S.P. It stands for Song, Scripture and Prayer, and that is exactly what the kids and I do together every morning before we leave the house for school each day. Jason joins us when we remember to have S.S.P. on the weekends, but I admit that we are really hit and miss on mornings when we sleep in.

I can not claim creative license on this one. But I am so grateful that when Tanner first began Kindergarten, I remembered that when I was young, we had friends who had this tradition in their home. I was really wondering how to incorporate a quick, positive spiritual element into our changing mornings, when the idea of S.S.P. hit me like a ton of bricks. It was inspiration, and having this routine has certainly blessed us. We are now in our 5th year of keeping this tradition.

I have tweaked it just a little since we began:





  • We sing the song that primary is learning each month. Since I am the song leader for primary at church, this is a great review for me too. If it is an easy one, we might change to a hymn half way through the month.



  • We recite a scripture that we are trying to memorize. For the past 2 or 3 years we simply went along with the monthly scriptures for primary. This year we are attempting to memorize these instead. We are a little stuck on #4 right now. I think that even though Margaret did the first three without a hitch, I may give her a pass on this one. It is a little long and has me wondering how we will do when we get to #13 later this year. :)



  • We also read a scripture. (Well, that is when we are on time and not doing this in the car.) This year we are keeping up with the Sunday School reading schedule by doing a simplified version I found in the January issue of The Friend. If I break up the passages just right, this chart provides for 5 or 6 readings a week. That is the perfect amount for us. Tanner reads a few verses, Andrew usually does 1 or 2 and I help Margaret with 1.



  • Finally, and most importantly, we have a morning prayer. Ideally we take turns throughout the week and remember to pray for challenging things each child may be dealing with. There are mornings though (like this morning if I recall) when I am so busy with last minute details that our prayer is too quick and hurried. But we do not skip this one ever. Even if it means a dreaded tardy. We don't part ways without a morning prayer.


I have always loved the scripture verse in Ephesians that reads "Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." And the following verses that teach of having a shield and helmet. And most importantly "praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit..."



And 5 years ago, when I first introduced the idea of S.S.P. to my young(er) family, that is how I explained it to them. We do these things as a reminder of what we beleive and to be a protection for us. Now that the tradition is well established with us, I need to remind my children again; WHY? It isn't just about offering a quick prayer and an off-key hymn. I really believe that living by the teachings in the scriptures will shield us everyday. I truly believe that prayer is communication with our Creator. What better way to start the day could there be?









2 comments:

K.T. said...

When I grow up I want to be just like you!!! What a great mother you are :)

Naomi said...

Hello Sarah,

You popped up on facebook under "people you may know," and I followed the link to your blog. I glanced down at the titles and had to laugh when I saw SSP.

You have a beautiful family. Hope all is going well for you. Tell your family hello from the Lunds. I am living in Orem, Utah with my husband and three kids. My parents just moved in next door; they'll get a kick out of the tradition being carried on. I'm assuming it's them; I never knew anyone else who had SSP. ;-)

Naomi (Lund) Christiansen